geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS - LDAP - Geronimo Plugins
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:30:33 GMT
> Howdy,
> I've been playing around with the integrated LDAP from the begining. It got pulled out
from the build when we came out with Geronimo plugins (somewhere around v1.1.1)
> Now I see it back in the branch for v1.2 and trunk, this "feature" is already in the
build however it still is available for download/install as a plugin.

As far as I can tell the directory module was never removed from the
build.  It just got removed from the list of components that are
enabled in the tomcat and jetty assemblies.  See rev 412604.  A
geronimo-plugin.xml file was also added to the directory module at
that time so that it could be exported as a plugin and offered from a
plugin repository.  But it doesn't have to be installed as a plugin,
you could reenable it in the assemblies just as well.  Same for the
other modules that used to be enabled in the assemblies by default
such as servlet and jsp samples, etc.

> So the question is what do we want to do with it, offer LDAP as part of the dist or separate
as a plugin?

Do you mean should it be reenabled in the default assemblies?
Strictly speaking its not required for JEE5 and if someone needs it
then its pretty easy to install as a plugin from the Geronimo plugin
repository at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/.  Actually,
installing it as a plugin in this way is equivalent to reenabling it
in the assembly since that repository's catalog just points to the
maven repo where Geronimo's artifacts are published.  The plugin
approach just lets the user decide what Geronimo artifacts get enabled
in the assembly instead of the person that typed "mvn"  :-)

> Another question is, if I already see it available in the build (fresh from trunk) why
it still shows up as available for install in the Install Plugin portlet?
> (it will fail to install since the destination already exist)

There might be an error in the plugin catalog.  If the module-id
that's listed in the catalog matches the module-id for a component
that's already deployed in the server then it should not show us as
available.  Actually I wasn't able to install the plugin for a
different reason -- the 2.0-M1 configs published in the snapshot repo
aren't compatible with 2.0 any more.  Are you sure that's not related
to the error you're seeing?  If so then that should be fixed when we
republish the configs (hopefully later today).

Best wishes,
Paul