geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Convention on dropping tests under the test framework
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:23:12 GMT
> I thought about this a little more and have some ideas about what I'd
> like..... I dunno if this is remotely possible.
>
> - keep the test app and test code close together in svn.  It's going
> to be a lot easier to work with a single test if these are close
> together, rather than like the testsupport stuff that is far from the
> tests that use it.
>
> - make it easy to run the tests on a single app... so there's an easy
> way to build the test app, start up a server, and run the tests for
> that app.

The downside to this is that you are building the app everytime you
run the test. This is doubly wasteful since the tests are run once for
each of the container-assemblies. Granted, this app builds very fast
but still there is a delta time that it adds to the test process. Not
every app may build this fast.

IMO, The most ideal scenario is what we do for the
enterprise-testsuite/test-ejbcontainer. There, both the ejb beans and
the tests are compiled elsewhere and published. They are simply
invoked in the framework.

Cheers
Prasad