geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:59:11 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> In several cases, you must release more than one spec at a time.
>> But my point was more general... as in general its easier to
>> manage releases for a set of modules together instead of one by one.
>
> You are assuming that is makes since to release a set of specs at
> once.  Normally only one spec changes at a time (due to a bug),
> then there is no reason to create a big set of every single spec
> jar we have ever created just to release a single jar.

If that spec has not dependencies on other specs, sure... but there
are some which are dependent, and in those cases you must handle them
too... and I am telling you now that people will miss them and screw
up the release, cause a bunch more work, and IMO a lot more confusion
or even build related issues if the fixed release is the same version.

>>> Only the specs being worked on would need build automation, and
>>> event then I would suggest G never uses SNAPSHOT specs.  Instead
>>> when the specs are mostly complete we release a M1 and when they
>>> are finished we release 1.0.  In that case no automation is
>>> necessary.
>>
>> It is still much easier to just setup one project for all of the
>> specs rather than add/remove projects as needed.
>>
>>  * * *
>>
>> If you folks really want to version spec modules independently,
>> then I suggest you also consider versioning server modules
>> independently.
>>
>> I certainly don't recommend doing either, but IMO they are both
>> the same problem from a build perspective, just with slightly
>> different context.
>
> I think you are using a lame rhetoric technique to make your
> point.  You are saying if you want to do X, then you should
> certainly do Y, and since no one would ever want to do Y, then we
> should never do X.

Fine, whatever dude... I was using a lame technique you used earlier
in this thread playing devils advocate.

> Things that are independently useable and move independently should
> be versioned independently.  The specs are both in this case.

Its not worth the overhead.

  * * *

I'm not sure that we will ever agree with each other.  I'm not even
trying to convince you or anyone else... cause at this point I simply
don't care.  I commented only because I believed your statements were
a little overly simplified and misleading in the larger, longer term
picture.

But, what do I know... I've been wrong before.

I'm sick and tired of this argument though, so just pick something
and do it.

--jason