geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Convention on dropping tests under the test framework
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:50:05 GMT
too lazy to insert a :-) every 10 words... so... just assume that I
have.  :-P

On Dec 7, 2006, at 8:31 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
> Since there were some questions today on where to drop new tests, I'll
> take a stab at creating a convention. Feel free to offer your
> suggestions so that we can modify it as we go along.
>
> We  began by having 2 testsuites just as an example.
> geronimo/testsuite/
>     console-testsuite
>     deployment-testsuite

These were only basic, basic examples for how it _might_ work.
Probably needs more thought before its really usable... though
console-testsuite, which does not need to build custom apps or other
muck, might be fine as is.  But other types of tests may need some
custom app modules built, which is currently not part of the
testsuite/* bits at all.

> But almost everything can fall under the category of the
> deployment-testsuite since most tests do need some deployable
> artifact. So I think we should use the deployment-testsuite purely for
> testing the deploy tool. Especially, it should be used to test
> features like hot-deploy, redeploy and undeploy which have had JIRAs
> before.

The deployment-testsuite was intended to test the deployment
functionality of Geronimo... not just any place to put tests which
have deployables.

And I just tossed that together to test module deployment, so maybe
it should be refactored... or removed, or who knows.

> We should categorize the tests so that they reflect the broad
> functional areas of the server.
>
> * web-testsuite (servlets, jsp, jstl)
> * enterprise-testsuite (ejb, jpa, jms, jacc, jta, javamail, jaf  etc)
> * mgmt-testsuite (jee management, deployment)
> * webservices-testsuite (wsee, jaxb, stax, saaj, ws-metadata etc)
> * performance-testsuite (server startup time, server footprint etc)
> * security-testsuite
> * console-testsuite
> * regression (compatibility)
>
> If nobody has any objection to this top categorization, I shall go
> ahead and create these testsuites over the weekend. Meanwhile you may
> drop your tests in the existing testsuites for now. I shall move them
> appropriately.

Please wait on this until there is a real more complete set of tests
which show that the setup/layout will scale for most/all types of
tests... I am fairly sure that it will not scale asis.

> Lastly, how do we deal with super apps like daytrader that can span
> across multiple testsuites ?

I don't understand what you mean by this at all.  Why does it matter?

What is a super app anyways?  :-P

--jason