geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release process change
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:14:41 GMT

On Dec 22, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2006, at 6:27 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> I'm OK with the change but would like to understand the proposal a
>> little bit better.
>> Not knowing Maven enough I do have a few questions.
>> What would be the equivalent to branches? How would we manage the
>> "cut" for stabilizing and releasing?
>
> Maven only handles the "tag" creation setp.  If I understand Matt's
> proposal correctly, the release manager would still do the
> branching and once the code is stable, the community votes to
> release the code as it without further changes.  They you run the
> maven tools to create the tags and the binaries.

I thought from looking at the maven dev list that maven now or in a
couple days is going to support staging releases.  I'm considerably
less than thrilled by the idea of changing what we vote on,
especially just when it looks like hope is on the horizon.

I'm definitely in favor of releasing the specs now, but I'd be more
comfortable voting on binaries as we have in the past.

ATM I'm in an internet constrained environment and haven't been able
to do a review of what's up for voting.  Hopefully this will be fixed
in a day or two.

thanks
david jencks