geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r485548 - /geronimo/javamail/trunk/geronimo-javamail_1.4_provider/pom.xml
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:28:56 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:26 AM, Christopher M. Cardona wrote:
> When we updated to JavaMail 1.4 and Activation 1.1 we got this
> warning message when building trunk:
>
> [WARNING] POM for 'org.apache.geronimo.javamail:geronimo-
> javamail_1.4_provider:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT:compile' is invalid. It will
> be ignored for artifact resolution.
> Reason: Failed to validate POM
>
> The reason for this warning was it couldn't resolve the version for
> the said specs so I added it. I already published a new snapshot
> with these changes that's why we don't get this problem anymore but
> I forgot to update the source.

Um, if mvn could not resolve the version for these artifacts, then it
would have stopped the build with an error.  This warning means that
it was able to resolve the artifact, but if found a pom with it which
was not valid, probably an m1 generated pom instead of an m2 pom.

I really don't see how adding version details to the child module's
pom helped this in any way.

> Thanks for the pointers. Not sure if we have conventions on
> creating properties but if I create 'javamail14Version' and
> 'activation11Version' in the parent pom will that work for you?

I was not referring to properties at all.  Maven 2 has a
dependencyManangement section which is intented to hold version
details for child modules.  If you really need to add these version
elements, then add them to the parent's dependencyManagement section,
so that the child poms can be free from version details.

Please do not not add version properties.  I have been removing most
of them that I find and converting them to dependnecyManagement
entries as they should be.  Properties for versions should not be
used IMO, except rarely, when using Maven 2.

--jason