geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: SVK
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:21:23 GMT
Yes, this is the best way... merge from 1.2 to trunk, as *most* of
those changes will be fairly simple to apply, and automatic with SVK
(well, up until the point when we rearrange trunk, but until then).

But some minor changes may also need to go the other way.  SVK should
be able to handle this.  When I was working with SVK for the m2
migration branch, I was keeping all svn notifications I got, then
when they buffered up enough, I would use SVK to merge each change,
limiting the path to either file or src/main/java for the modules
affected to avoid pulling in unwanted changes.  In the case of the m2
migration, unwanted changes would be stuff in a pom.  You could do a
merge from the branch root, then cherry pick the changes, but that is
not much fun when there are a bunch of changes.

Anyways... IMO its best to try to only merge from 1.2 to trunk, and
if needed only merge from trunk to 1.2 on a per-file basis.

That means if you are working on fixing a bug, its best to fix it in
1.2.  But experience has shown that people will work off of trunk and
merge into branches more often than desired.  But, if you are careful
about the merge then no major problems should pop up.

I also recommend, when using svk smerge, that you first run with -C
to see what it wants to do first.  Limit the changes pulled in to one
merge if possible to avoid picking up something you did not want.

And when you do the merge, use the -I flag to include the original
text of the commit into the merge automatically, this makes it easier
to track... and more automated... as if there are not conflicts, the
merge will not require any user interaction.

When you initially setup the svk config you will need to use --
baseless on the first smerge, but only for the first... all
afterwards SVK should have enough details to find the base, not sure
what will happen if you keep using --baseless, so I don't recommend it.

And if you run into anything strange, unlikely but might happen, hope
in #svk on freenode and ask, they have been very helpful to me.

--jason