geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Trunk build failure: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:18:54 GMT
Thanks Kevan for looking into this.

This is one of the big issues I have with mvn and SNAPSHOT
artifacts... other peoples projects can break your projects build
with out any notice, no change log, and in many cases hours of
someone debugging a build to figure it out.

Perhaps we should simply not use *any* SNAPSHOT artifacts anymore?
And only use timestamp-build artifacts when non-released (snapshot
deployed) artifacts need to be consumed.  The chances of those *just
changing* and breaking things are slimmer... though the chance of
them disappearing from a repo are much higher.

We could always fix that by finally setting up our own repo in svn,
maybe here for now:

     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository

Might hold anywhere from 50-100 megs of artifacts to support a
Geronimo Server build.  And we could probably just start out with
some of the more risky artifacts, like this timestamp-build artifact
(and move over the local repos that are in the server/trunk build).

Though eventually it would be nice to simply be able to prime the
local repo and build offline:

     svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository
     cp -r repository/* ~/.m2/repository
     svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk
server
     cd server
     mvn -o

Though I'm not sure if the current ASF httpd config for
svn.apache.org will handle this well.   I know that its possible to
setup httpd+svn to behave optimally for this, just not sure that the
ASF config asis will or not.

--jason