geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: no more modules for specs...
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 08:40:29 GMT

On Dec 15, 2006, at 11:05 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
<big snip>

> Then don't use those repos, or label them as snapshot repos. As far
> as Geronimo is concerned why do you need anything more then central
> as a source? Aside from your SNAPSHOT dependencies.
>
> This will only stop when Archiva is in full effect. The only way to
> submit anything to central will be via Archiva. Any project who
> wishes to have the same stability will only take artifacts that
> have passed through and instance of Archiva. You'll know you're
> using an instance of Archiva because we'll have a wagon for doing
> that and it will be configured. It will eventually be the default.
> It will simply be the Grizzly client and Jetty using the Grizzly
> connector.

Jason, one thing I'd like to point out here is that to a large extent
jdillon has been saying "the current state of maven remote repos is
unreliable" and you are saying, "no, as soon as we get archiva,
signatures, audit trails, etc etc etc working they will be
reliable".  That's agreeing with jdillon that the current state of
maven remote repos is unreliable since they don't have signed
artifacts and an audit trail (at least).  Just because you wish
remote repos worked and were reliable does not mean they are today.
I personally don't think they will be satisfactory until you have a
revocation procedure in place as well as signing and an audit trail.
I suspect that making this distributed system reliable is going to be
much much harder than you imagine: I hope I'm wrong because if it
works it would be really great.

Another comment I will make is that I am fairly sure there are severe
bugs in the maven artifact resolution process when snapshots are
present.  This is because if I remove all org.apache.geronimo.modules
artifacts from my local repo and build the corresponding part of
geronimo, if I build online I usually get errors together with
downloaded timestamped artifacts whereas if I build offline the build
succeeds.  Note carefully that I am only building geronimo artifacts
and there is no change whatsoever in non-geronimo artifacts in my
local repo.  I think nearly every time we've made a change involving
more than one module since we started using m2 and pushing snapshots
to the snapshot repo we've had user complaints that the build is
broken, and the solution always is to build offline.

Your complaints about any already released geronimo artifacts are
totally irrelevant  unless you want to recommend we move back to m1
since the 1.2-beta and 2.0-M1 are the first releases we've tried to
do with m2 (except for specs, which got messed up in various other
ways but have not been a giant problem until recently).

thanks
david jencks