geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:34:06 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> Personally, I think we should use a single version for releasing
> our specs. I think this makes it easier for us as developers in
> managing spec releases. I think users will find it easier to
> collect a consistent set of specifications. I think these benefits
> outweigh concerns over the lack of flexibility and the wasteful
> aspects of re-releasing unchanged specifications.

I'm obviously +1 on this.  One version provides much needed
simplification for the build process.  IMO maven's existing model of
versioning each module separately is a dangerous build anti-pattern
and we should not follow it.

> I suppose there's a hybrid option where we release separate
> versions, now, and move to a single version policy (2.0?) for our
> next release.

Ya, thats probably what I would recommend... though really, if we can
agree to use one version then we could just a 2.0 now and update G
1.2 and 2.0 to just use those versions.

--jason