geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split out transaction
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 04:07:08 GMT

On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:14 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I monitor a bunch of lists and it looks like the Geronimo
> transaction library is getting pretty popular.  Looks like Ofbiz,
> ODE, and Tuscany are now using it.  That's in addition to
> ServiceMix, ActiveMQ, and of course OpenEJB.
>
> Interesting thing is that their all using it standalone via the
> Jencks.org stuff.
>
> What is stopping us from splitting this out?
>
> I say we just leave the gbeans where they are, rename the module to
> geronimo-transaction-gbeans, then move the rest of the code out,
> make a new pom and mark any deps still required with
> '<scope>provided'.
>
> Then we cut a release of it that both 1.2beta and 2.0m1 can use

Beyond your note, what's motivating us to split it out? ;-)

Certainly makes sense to provide a module which is not dependent on
GBeans (one day we'll get rid of them altogether...). That seems to
be the important part of any splitting. This can occur with or
without moving transactions to be separately releasable...

I certainly wouldn't advocate doing anything like this so close to a
release or two...

--kevan