geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Release Guidlines (was: Re: svn commit: r488326 - /geronimo/server/tags/2.0-M1/testsuite/deployment-testsuite/manifestcp/manifestcp-ejb/src/main/resources/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml)
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:59:27 GMT

On Dec 18, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Ugh... this is why I don't like all that moving of branches to tags...

I agree

> A "tag" or "label" should never be modified... its a point in time,
> not indented (or expected) to be changed.
>
> I believe that we would be doing ourselves a major favor by
> following some SCM best practices... moving branches to tags is not
> one of them... neither is changing code in a tag.

Dain ran into a similar problem where while releasing he had an issue
that a utility as part of the release process caused him to make a
change to source because of a variable name.

For the milestone I'm not concerned but I am concerned that we get
the release process documented and agreed to.  We're not going to fix
these two release processes.

I am writing up on the CWiki my thoughts for release that I'd like to
get ironed out BEFORE we get to the next release.  Not that we've
done anything wrong but I feel this process is too fluid as we've
changed it almost every release.  This includes changes to voting,
releasing, and build tools.  We've worked through them each time and
no process will be perfect but we should be refining something each
time and not creating something new.

Here are my list of items to start with:

Define release in terms of Milestone, Beta, Full Version
- includes definition of user expectations
- quality of the release
- logging level consistency
- Release Notes content
- Packing list for delivered content
- Naming conventions for delivered modules (ala manually created source)

Process of branching and tagging (we already have  a plethora of
discussion...I think this needs to get on a Wiki)
- includes tags and modifications

Including non-released artifacts and how they are handeled and where
they go

Voting time lines and expectations
- Things like VOTE and DISCUSS threads
- when do they get restarted (or do they)...how to handle issues like
changes to the tree that were no previously caught
- Is there a limit where the 72 hour timeline is satisfied previously?

Ok, these are a few of my favorite things.  Actually, this is a lot
of process but to Jason's concern (which I agree with) we need to
lock this down.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org