geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:16:37 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> I'm in favor of a single version for all specs.  Versioning the specs
> individually has some advantages but makes the release manager's job
> more difficult since the tooling doesn't readily support that
> approach.

Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
doesn't make the release manager's job harder.

> And as a developer (at least for me) a single version is
> more intuitive, evidenced by my recent snafu where I created the
> initial version of jsp 2.1 spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  Thankfully Jason
> keeps a very close eye on things and suggested using 1.0-SNAPSHOT
> instead.

Um I think that goes both ways.  Because all specs are currently at
1.1-SNAPSHOT, you mistakenly created a new spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  As
specs become more independent, I would expect you would naturally
choose 1.0-SNAPSHOT for a new spec.  In addition, new specs do not
come along that often so making a mistake once a year is not a big deal.

> I also believe having the specs all at a single release is consistent
> with the approach we use in server/trunk, where the artifacts share
> the same geronimo version and when necessary a version number can be
> included in the artifactId.   Consistency has its benefits.

In that case, why not move specs into the server tree?

-dain