geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Annotation processing
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:14:25 GMT

On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:07 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:46 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I think that there is no further information needed for the
>> "exposing" annotations: once they are in the xml, we can just
>> deploy from the xml and we're done.  However for the "resource
>> injection" annotations, we still need some code to get the object
>> out of jndi and put it into the field.
> See my last comment.
>> So, here's how I imagine this working:
>> Deploy time:
>> 1. scan all the classes for annotations
>> 2. process them into the xml descriptor
>> 3. deploy from the modified xml descriptor, includiing
>> constructing the jndi tree (as done currently)
> It'd be silly to do it any other way.
>> 4. add objects to inject resources
> Here's where I get confused.  Add objects to inject resources into
> what?  The confusing part is that injection is done on instances of
> components (servlets, ejbs).  Maybe the Tomcat/Jetty integrations
> are a lot tighter than I thought they were.  Are we actually
> creating servlet and filter instances themselves?

Definitely not for tomcat.  For jetty these are created by a
ServletHolder, which is wrapped into a gbean, so we could modify the
object creation code.  I imagine there's some similar way to
customize tomcat, but I have no idea what it might be.

In any case, my goal of using verbiage sufficiently general to be
difficult to argue with failed :-).   I have no idea what is needed
nor how to do this.  Do you have any advice?

david jencks

> -David

View raw message