geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <>
Subject Re: Split out transaction
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 03:15:02 GMT

On Dec 12, 2006, at 6:39 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I'm ok for splitting it out.  I'm not sure today is the best
> timing.  My experience is the simple things like this as your
> releasing software is the thing that goes belly up and causes great
> pain.  We'll have to peel it out, test it, vote on it, etc.
> I'd prefer to do this after we get 1.2-beta and 2.0-m1 out the door.

Sure.  We can start creating the separate modules now, but we can
leave 1.2-beta and 2.0-m1 using their own copies.

> On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:14 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>> I monitor a bunch of lists and it looks like the Geronimo
>> transaction library is getting pretty popular.  Looks like Ofbiz,
>> ODE, and Tuscany are now using it.  That's in addition to
>> ServiceMix, ActiveMQ, and of course OpenEJB.
>> Interesting thing is that their all using it standalone via the
>> stuff.
>> What is stopping us from splitting this out?
>> I say we just leave the gbeans where they are, rename the module
>> to geronimo-transaction-gbeans, then move the rest of the code
>> out, make a new pom and mark any deps still required with
>> '<scope>provided'.
> Are you proposing:
> geronimo/server/[trunk | branches/1.2] /modules/geronimo-
> transaction-gbeans for the server and branches and
> geronimo/modules/geronimo-transaction/trunk/
>                                      /tags/
>                                      /branches/
> for the externalized transaction and connector modules?

Right.  I could take or leave the 'modules' prefix, but it's kind of

> So for after 2.0-m1 and 1.2-beta1 we would move it out and version
> it as 2.0-SNAPSHOT and release as -2.0.

We can move out now and mark them 2.0-SNAPSHOT.  After 2.0-m1 and 1.2-
beta1 we can work on getting those codelines to use the independently
versioned copies and when that works, we release them as 2.0.

> This kind of implies that the other modules like tomcat, jetty,
> activemq, etc should be renamed with -gbean suffixes to be consistent.

The activemq one maybe as I think that one really does only have
gbeans in it, but the rest have a lot more integration code.  We can
use any suffix we like really, we just need an artifactId different
than geronimo-transaction.   In fact we maybe just want to throw the
leftover gbeans into another module, like geronimo-core.  But we can
decide that later.

View raw message