geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:52:15 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

>> On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
>>
>> > I'm in favor of a single version for all specs.  Versioning the
>> specs
>> > individually has some advantages but makes the release manager's
>> job
>> > more difficult since the tooling doesn't readily support that
>> > approach.
>>
>> Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
>> doesn't make the release manager's job harder.
>
> Maybe I read too much into the wiki page that Kevan referenced, which
> lists the following advantage for using a single version for specs:
> -  Release process is simple and can be fully automated with the
> release plugin
>
> And the following listed as a disadvantage of versioning the specs
> individually:
> -  Releases are more difficult because the person performing the
> release must be aware of any dependencies and must also rerelease
> those jars. (eliminated with working version-ranges)

I thought you were referring to the Geronimo server releases.  Yes
the above is true for releasing specs, but releasing specs is a very
rare thing since specs are rarely added or removed.

> and lists as a supporting fact:
> -  Version ranges don't work several (most?) important maven plugins
>
> Is the wiki page outdated or am I missing the point?

Nope that is accurate.

>> > I also believe having the specs all at a single release is
>> consistent
>> > with the approach we use in server/trunk, where the artifacts share
>> > the same geronimo version and when necessary a version number
>> can be
>> > included in the artifactId.   Consistency has its benefits.
>>
>> In that case, why not move specs into the server tree?
>
> So a single version of specs can support more than one version of the
> server.  Would that not be the case with the 1.2 and 2.0-M1 versions
> of the server?

I was being a devil's advocate.  In general, once we release a spec
is should never change (i.e., should be 1.0 forever).  Only in the
rare case where we find bugs in a spec would we release an update.
In that case, the specs would support all versions of the server that
need that spec, another project using our specs, and any user
applications using our specs.

-dain