geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:08:07 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>> Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
>>> doesn't make the release manager's job harder.
>>
>> Sure it does Dain, running one set of `mvn release:prepare && mvn
>> release:perform` vs, running one per spec module.  That is
>> significantly more work for the latter.
>
> You are implying that we tend to release gobs of specs at one.  The
> reality is specs rarely change and when we do find a problem it is
> with one module not everything.

In several cases, you must release more than one spec at a time.  But
my point was more general... as in general its easier to manage
releases for a set of modules together instead of one by one.

>> Also, if you consider hooking up this process to a build
>> automation tool, so that each build gets released by that tool,
>> then the specs project effectively needs to get split up into a
>> project per-module, which is a bunch of unneeded overhead.
>
> Only the specs being worked on would need build automation, and
> event then I would suggest G never uses SNAPSHOT specs.  Instead
> when the specs are mostly complete we release a M1 and when they
> are finished we release 1.0.  In that case no automation is necessary.

It is still much easier to just setup one project for all of the
specs rather than add/remove projects as needed.

  * * *

If you folks really want to version spec modules independently, then
I suggest you also consider versioning server modules independently.

I certainly don't recommend doing either, but IMO they are both the
same problem from a build perspective, just with slightly different
context.

--jason