geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: openejb-2.2 tag is not buildable
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 01:15:36 GMT

On Dec 18, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I'm trying to build the OpenEJB 2.2 release so that I can continue
> working on Geronimo CTS/TCK automation... but the openejb-2.2
> release tag is not buildable in a clean environment:
> [...]
> I am not sure that this is a priority for many folks, but I hope
> that someday it will become more important in your eyes.

As you know you don't need to build openejb-2.2 to do your CTS/TCK
testing.  You can build 1.2-beta or 2.0-m1 as Dain or Matt did when
they built those releases by adding this repo to your list temporarily:

   http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/stage/

But you're right, tags should be buildable.  As openejb depends on
geronimo and geronimo depends on openejb -- it's hard.  As you and
David J. have mentioned, it would be possible to:
  1. release geronimo modules
  2. release openejb
  3. release geromimo applications, configs, and assemblies.

But since we don't do that and I don't think anyone is willing to
propose it, someone has to release with an imperfect tag and OpenEJB
is always the one to fall on that sword.  It has nothing to do with
it not being important, that's just the compromise we make until
either 1. OpenEJB stops depending on Geronimo snapshots, 2. Geronimo
stops depending on OpenEJB snapshots, or 3. Geronimo releases modules
and "other" in serial with a wait period in the middle for the
OpenEJB release.

You already know that too and I'm just reiterating what we've all
gone over before.  My perspective is we need a bit of 1, 2 and 3.

In the meantime comments like "I hope that someday it will become
more important in your eyes" don't sit well with me.

So, the here and now:  It's poor form to update tags, but it's also
poor form to release stuff with snapshots, so I went with (hopefully)
the lesser of the two evils and updated the tag.

geronimo.*:  1.2-SNAPSHOT -> 1.2-beta
tools-maven-plugin:  1.1-SNAPSHOT -> 1.1

Fair warning, the tag will still not build due to the missing
geronimo dependencies.  Geronimo 1.2-beta is waiting on OpenEJB 2.2
to be released.

As you also know, you can add this repo to your list temporarily to
build:
   http://people.apache.org/~dain/stage/

Hope this helps,

-David