geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: no more modules for specs...
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:14:00 GMT

On Dec 16, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 16 Dec 06, at 11:26 AM 16 Dec 06, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> On Dec 15, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>>
>>> this change really killed me for all of the build automation I
>>> have been working on... and was one of the reasons why I had
>>> warned against using this style of versioning.
>>>
>>> basically since this was removed, checking out the specs project
>>> and building it produces nothing, except for this:
>>>
>>>     org/apache/geronimo/specs/specs/maven-metadata-local.xml
>>>     org/apache/geronimo/specs/specs/1.2/specs-1.2.pom
>>>     org/apache/geronimo/specs/specs/1.2/specs-1.2-site.xml
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I think this discussion has gotten a bit off track. I don't think
>> we should be discussing archiva capabilities, at all.
>>
>> IMO, we release source code. Binary distributions and maven
>> artifacts are a convenience. If users can't build our source code,
>> then there's a problem.
>
> You think your users build from sources to make their Geronimo
> servers for production or are you talking about just the specs? I
> would argue that it's rare for users to want to build everything
> from source, but even if they only built the Geronimo sources they
> still need all the binary dependencies at which point the quality
> of the repository matters. I think the discussion is germane in the
> context of your users building production systems from source.

Jason van Zyl,
No, I don't expect users to be building specs from source. However,
if users chose to build our sources, I expect our sources to build.
If users find problems, I expect that they can patch our source and
build patched versions of our software. Do you disagree with any of
that?

Jason Dillon said he was having a problem building our specs. I'm
trying to understand his problem.

The behavior and reliability of maven repos is a great discussion to
have. It's just moving off of what I think is the core issue...

--kevan