geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul ANDERSON" <pander...@wta.dz>
Subject Geronimo 1.1.1 and Liferay 4, memory problems on startup and hot deployment
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:47:32 GMT
We have had trouble deploying Liferay 4.2.0 on Geronimo 1.1.1 out of the box with Liferay distro
where they are prepacked together. I tried the 4.1.2 pro WAR file too and had the same memory
problems.
We immediately get PermGen memory use errors on Java 1.5.09 on RHEL 3, 4 and Windows XP even
with more than 1 gig allocated. Sometimes it happens on startup, otherwise on the first hot
deployment. Restarting after every deployment helps if the deployment didn't crash the server.
On Tomcat 5.5, LR runs fine with little memory.

The July 2006 archives contain discussion about blocking 1.1.1 because of this problem but
it seems not to have happened.

The user list contains a recent question, Liferay 4.2.0 and Geronimo 1.1.1 about the same
problem on startup.

And on JIRA there is issue GERONIMO-2644 that may be related:-
"Fix leaking ClassLoaders
Created: 11/Dec/06 12:04 PM   Updated: 11/Dec/06 12:19 PM
Component/s:
kernel
Affects Version/s:
1.2 , 2.0-M1
Fix Version/s:
1.2 , 2.0-M1
"Looks like we're leaking ClassLoaders. If you deploy/undeploy an app the ClassLoader(s) created
for the app are not being GC'ed. Eventually, you'll run out of PermGen space. I assume that
this is also causing the PermGen problems when running tests."

Will this problem be fixed in 1.2 and if so, when is 1.2 release planned?
We wanted to adopt Geronimo and go into production with it for running Liferay, but this is
a killer for us.
Thanks
Paul.