geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:53:56 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm in favor of a single version for all specs.  Versioning the
>>> specs
>>> individually has some advantages but makes the release manager's job
>>> more difficult since the tooling doesn't readily support that
>>> approach.
>>
>> Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
>> doesn't make the release manager's job harder.
>
> Sure it does Dain, running one set of `mvn release:prepare && mvn
> release:perform` vs, running one per spec module.  That is
> significantly more work for the latter.

You are implying that we tend to release gobs of specs at one.  The
reality is specs rarely change and when we do find a problem it is
with one module not everything.

> Also, if you consider hooking up this process to a build automation
> tool, so that each build gets released by that tool, then the specs
> project effectively needs to get split up into a project per-
> module, which is a bunch of unneeded overhead.

Only the specs being worked on would need build automation, and event
then I would suggest G never uses SNAPSHOT specs.  Instead when the
specs are mostly complete we release a M1 and when they are finished
we release 1.0.  In that case no automation is necessary.

-dain