geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: SNAPSHOT - Revision #
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 02:04:25 GMT

On Dec 4, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> is this all for web console shots?  If so, then update the console
> to make that configurable.
> But if its for build shorts, like capturing what mvn spits out,
> then I think that its be a very bad idea to change the project
> version just for a screen shot.
> Actually I think its a waste of time to even bother with the
> property thing, but if its low impact, and does not add any more
> burden/overhead for the normal build/release, then I think its fine.

Hernan wants to create 1.2 documentation. He wants that documentation
to be as close to the the actual user experience as he can. I think
that is *fantastic*. And I think we could give him a bit of support
in his efforts.

Here's how it could work:

1) Hernan could make a private update to his pom.xml and build a
preview of 1.2. There may be a few stumbling blocks, here. Hard-coded
versions, OpenEJB dependencies, etc.
2) Hernan uses this preview build to generate reasonably accurate
screenshots. No code is checked into svn. No artifacts are deployed
to maven repos.

I assume that Hernan's m2 repo/build environment will not build 1.2-
SNAPSHOT properly after that. So, when Hernan is done, he wipes out
his build tree and maven repo (or geronimo sections of his repo) and
reverts back to 1.2-SNAPSHOT.

What's so bad about all that?

I'm certainly willing to lend Hernan a hand to get his environment up
and running. I would hope that others involved with the 1.2 release
might actually want to help him out too...

View raw message