geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:45:47 GMT
I agree that parts of server should be split up into a few smaller
chunks... but I can tell you from current experience with what we
have so far, and from past experence where I worked on systems larger
than G with each bit versioned separately... that the more versions
you put in the mix, the more work and headache it is going to be to
keep the system in order.

The less versions to manage the better... that does not mean only one
version for everything, but a limited number of components that are
managed and versioned together.  IMO specs are one of those
components that should be managed and versioned together.

I do not think we want to end up with the same cluster* that maven
exists in today with all of its components, some from ASF, some from
Codehaus, all versioned up separately, can't easily tell which
versions are compatible with each other, can't tell which is the
latest.  I think following maven's practice would be a huge mistake.

--jason