geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jetty 6 and JSP 2.1 support
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:27:42 GMT

On Dec 6, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Jetty 6 as currently integrated in trunk is still using the JSP
> 2.0 support from jasper (tomcat 5.5.15).   To support jetty for the
> 2.0-M1 milestone we will need a JSP 2.1 implementation.  I half
> thought about just shipping with the jsp 2.0 for jetty in 2.0-M1
> but the console and other jsp apps. will break when I update the
> assemblies to include JSTL 1.2 from glassfish which requires a JSP
> 2.1 implementation.
>
> There are a few choices here (details below):
> 1) Use the JSP supported provided by jetty.
> 2) Use jasper from tomcat 6
> 3) Don't deliver jetty with 2.0-M1
>

> 1)  I gate the JSP support in jetty a try.  AFAIK, jetty is
> actually picking up modules from glassfish and repackaging these in
> their build (can anybody confirm or deny this?).
> I may have a few things wrong but my initial attempt to use the jsp
> 2.1 jars delivered by jetty didn't go well.   You can see the stack
> traces in the attached file.  I haven't dug into the method errors
> yet and I'm not sure if it is worth the effort (see #2).

I think the problem might be the jetty 6 module builder line 983
where the jasper servlet name is hardcoded:

             servletData.setAttribute("servletClass",
"org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet");

This should be an attribute on the builder.  I'll fix it shortly.

Also the default jsp servlet in the jetty6-deployer plan.xml most
likely needs the same change:

     <gbean name="JSPServlet"
class="org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.JettyDefaultServletHolder">
         <attribute name="servletName">jsp</attribute>
         <attribute
name="servletClass">org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</attribute>
         <attribute name="loadOnStartup">0</attribute>
         <attribute name="initParams">
             development=false
             fork=false
             logVerbosityLevel=DEBUG
             xpoweredBy=false
         </attribute>
         <attribute name="servletMappings">*.jsp,*.jspf,*.jspx,*.xsp</
attribute>
     </gbean>

> 2)  I'm about to try using the new jasper with jetty.  It seems
> like the web console works fine with the jsp 2.0 support provided
> by jasper.  I think that it should equally do fine with the jsp 2.1
> support from jasper.  I like this approach because it has worked in
> the past and gives us some consistency between jetty and tomcat.
> If it works then that pretty much settles it for me for the 2.0-M1
> delivery.  However, longer term I'm concerned because it diverges
> from the path that jetty has taken which means we may be in for
> problems down the road even if things work fine now.  Does anybody
> know if the current jetty approach is a long-term decision or just
> a temporary one based upon the lack of jasper 2.1 support when they
> needed it?

We'll have to ping greg.

> 3)  It is certainly the easiest approach to only deliver tomcat for
> 2.0-M1.   I'm not sure how others feel about it.  I don't want to
> open the whole "multiple-container" can of worms ... but it sure
> does complicate things trying to support both tomcat and jetty.

OK, lets drop tomcat :-)  The easiest approach is to deliver only
jetty6 for 2.0-M1, it's already implemented.

> Please let me know your thoughts.

I think we should continue to support both servlet containers.

thanks
david jencks