geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Annotation processing
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:20:14 GMT
On Dec 12, 2006, at 3:14 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:07 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>>> 4. add objects to inject resources
>>
>> Here's where I get confused.  Add objects to inject resources into
>> what?  The confusing part is that injection is done on instances
>> of components (servlets, ejbs).  Maybe the Tomcat/Jetty
>> integrations are a lot tighter than I thought they were.  Are we
>> actually creating servlet and filter instances themselves?
>
> Definitely not for tomcat.  For jetty these are created by a
> ServletHolder, which is wrapped into a gbean, so we could modify
> the object creation code.  I imagine there's some similar way to
> customize tomcat, but I have no idea what it might be.
>
> In any case, my goal of using verbiage sufficiently general to be
> difficult to argue with failed :-).   I have no idea what is needed
> nor how to do this.  Do you have any advice?

:)

I have to imagine that both Jetty and Tomcat already have their own
code for injecting the items from JNDI using the standard names [1],
so if simply had some way to tell either of them which jndi names go
with which fields we'd be good to go.

[1]  Granted the spec doesn't require you to inject straight from
JNDI, but injection was intended to be done this way when the specs
were written (even SessionContext is now in JNDI) and I'd be really
surprised if there was anyone out there doing it differently.

I'd be interested in what Jetty and Tomcat have in this regard.

-David