geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r486734 - in /geronimo/server: branches/1.1/modules/system/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/configuration/ branches/1.2/modules/geronimo-system/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/configuration/ branches/2.0-M1/modules/geronim
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:27:10 GMT

On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

> Yes.  It removes the config.xml entry unconditionally.  Once the
> configuration is deleted is it necessary to retain the config.xml
> entry?  Should we skip those entries that have gbean elements
> inside?  Will these entries be useful (used automatically) at a
> later deployment of the same configuration?

When I worked on it my idea was that if you went to the trouble of
customizing a module in config.xml we shouldn't remove those
customizations: if you didn't want them any more you could remove
them by hand.

I really think we need to support preserving customizations over
redeploys.

To me, the ideal situation would be:

- if there are no customizations for a module, undeploying the module
removes the config.xml entry
- if there are customizations, undeploying the module sets
load="false" for the entry
- deploying something with moduleId already present in config.xml
sets load="true" for that entry and uses the customizations.

- we have functional tests to verify that all this actually works.

thanks
david jencks

> --vamsi

> Does this unconditionally remove the config.xml entry?  The original
> idea was to only remove the config.xml entry if it had no
> customizations: if it has customizations we tried to leave it with
> load="false"
>
> thanks
> david jencks

<snip>