geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Release process change
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:11:18 GMT
David brought up a proposed change to the release process around some
specs that he is currently working through.  As you all know the
release process has been a challenge for quite some time.  Branching,
building, voting, building, voting, building voting, etc.  Which is
quite time consuming.  It may be that we've gone too far in the
release process in terms of how were structured.  We need a better
way that ensures we are releasing good binaries in terms of code
quality as well as meeting the legal requirements.  I think David's
suggestion is a step in the right direction.

We elect someone to be the release manager which in essence empowers
them to follow through the process of getting software out the door.
In David's proposal (currently for specs and this is a great starting
point) is to propose a release and use Maven to release:prepare /
release:perform to create the final binaries and place them into the
Maven repo.

In essence, the release manager (or whoever is working to release
some component) indicates their desire and points to the branch to be
released.  This effectively defines the content of the release.
Folks on the project would then build from that branch and satisfy
themselves that they are satisfied with the content and vote.  The
release manager would then release using the Maven plugin and be
responsible for the actual distribution.

Based on the way we can release with Maven 2 we are significantly
closer to release early / release often.

The content of the vote would be something like

Vote:  Allow individual modules to be released based on source
content in SVN as indicated by the release manager and use Maven to
produce and release the appropriate artifacts.

I'd like to leave this open for discussion through next Friday and
bring this up for a vote first week in January.  This discussion
thread is the place to get ideas on the table.  I suspect that this
will not garner 100% support so this vote will be a majority
consensus.  Remember, we can always change things later if they
aren't working out.

If you like the proposal as is just simply give a +1 so people can
know your opinion.  Its not a vote in this thread but simply a quick
determination of opinion.

For those who haven't released before, this will really simplify the
process and make it less tedious and allow more people to be involved.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org