geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:01:43 GMT

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On 12/11/06, Dain Sundstrom <dain@iq80.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
>>
>> > I'm in favor of a single version for all specs.  Versioning the  
>> specs
>> > individually has some advantages but makes the release manager's  
>> job
>> > more difficult since the tooling doesn't readily support that
>> > approach.
>>
>> Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
>> doesn't make the release manager's job harder.
>
> Maybe I read too much into the wiki page that Kevan referenced, which
> lists the following advantage for using a single version for specs:
> -  Release process is simple and can be fully automated with the  
> release plugin
>
> And the following listed as a disadvantage of versioning the specs  
> individually:
> -  Releases are more difficult because the person performing the
> release must be aware of any dependencies and must also rerelease
> those jars. (eliminated with working version-ranges)

That's actually not true as you can mark all the deps of a spec as  
'<scope>provided' which shuts off maven's transitivity.  Then all  
this pom interlinking between specs which makes everyone's brain hurt  
just goes away.

-David

> and lists as a supporting fact:
> -  Version ranges don't work several (most?) important maven plugins
>
> Is the wiki page outdated or am I missing the point?
>
>> > And as a developer (at least for me) a single version is
>> > more intuitive, evidenced by my recent snafu where I created the
>> > initial version of jsp 2.1 spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  Thankfully Jason
>> > keeps a very close eye on things and suggested using 1.0-SNAPSHOT
>> > instead.
>>
>> Um I think that goes both ways.  Because all specs are currently at
>> 1.1-SNAPSHOT, you mistakenly created a new spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  As
>> specs become more independent, I would expect you would naturally
>> choose 1.0-SNAPSHOT for a new spec.  In addition, new specs do not
>> come along that often so making a mistake once a year is not a big  
>> deal.
>
> I agree that could go either way.  Besides, what seems intuitive for
> me usually ends up getting me into trouble so I shouldn't have even
> brought it up.  :-)
>
>> > I also believe having the specs all at a single release is  
>> consistent
>> > with the approach we use in server/trunk, where the artifacts share
>> > the same geronimo version and when necessary a version number  
>> can be
>> > included in the artifactId.   Consistency has its benefits.
>>
>> In that case, why not move specs into the server tree?
>
> So a single version of specs can support more than one version of the
> server.  Would that not be the case with the 1.2 and 2.0-M1 versions
> of the server?
>
>>
>> -dain
>>
>>
>


Mime
View raw message