geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Geronimo 2.0 Milestone's and how were doing
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:54:48 GMT
While ripping out drywall this weekend I was thinking about our
Geronimo 2.0 and all the work that needs to get done to complete this
monsterous effort.   While sifting through the scorecard and thinking
about all the different things that need to be addressed it became a
bit overwhelming.  As everyone knows many different projects are
working on their implementations of Java EE 5.0.  Some are available
and others are works in progress (as is ours).  It seems that from
user perspective people are really interested in the Java EE and have
been asking for several months about where we are.  At this point it
would be nice to give them an idea of what we're thinking about.

I had previously put out a set of milestones and dates.  I wanted to
make it a little more formal and of course with all the caveats that
this is open source and our timetables are subject to people's time
and contribution.

With that, here is an updated timeline and some graphic
representations that represent the Java EE specifications that need
to be completed from a high level.

I think it was Dain that used the term table stakes when referring to
the specification.  Meaning that we need the spec related
functionality to get in the game but innovations beyond the
specification were necessary to make a bigger splash.  I don't
capture those here but I'll work on pulling that together as well.

Take a look at http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/Geronimo2.0/ and
provide your thoughts on how were doing.

If we are going to make a Dec 22 Beta 1 then we would have to cut
sometime in the next week and a half.

What do y'all think?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org