geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:41:31 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
>
>> I'm in favor of a single version for all specs.  Versioning the specs
>> individually has some advantages but makes the release manager's job
>> more difficult since the tooling doesn't readily support that
>> approach.
>
> Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
> doesn't make the release manager's job harder.

Sure it does Dain, running one set of `mvn release:prepare && mvn
release:perform` vs, running one per spec module.  That is
significantly more work for the latter.  Also, if you consider
hooking up this process to a build automation tool, so that each
build gets released by that tool, then the specs project effectively
needs to get split up into a project per-module, which is a bunch of
unneeded overhead.

While mvn can go both ways, one version for many modules is
significantly easier.

>> And as a developer (at least for me) a single version is
>> more intuitive, evidenced by my recent snafu where I created the
>> initial version of jsp 2.1 spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  Thankfully Jason
>> keeps a very close eye on things and suggested using 1.0-SNAPSHOT
>> instead.
>
> Um I think that goes both ways.  Because all specs are currently at
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT, you mistakenly created a new spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.
> As specs become more independent, I would expect you would
> naturally choose 1.0-SNAPSHOT for a new spec.  In addition, new
> specs do not come along that often so making a mistake once a year
> is not a big deal.

Could be, though the error was because it was a svn copy, not because
someone though that it should start at a different version.  So the
exact same problem could happen either way.  The only way to remove
that completely is to remove the version from the equation... one
version for all specs does just that.

--jason