geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: no more modules for specs...
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:58:03 GMT
On Dec 16, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> IMO, we release source code. Binary distributions and maven
>> artifacts are a convenience. If users can't build our source code,
>> then there's a problem.
>
> You think your users build from sources to make their Geronimo
> servers for production or are you talking about just the specs? I
> would argue that it's rare for users to want to build everything
> from source, but even if they only built the Geronimo sources they
> still need all the binary dependencies at which point the quality
> of the repository matters. I think the discussion is germane in the
> context of your users building production systems from source.

The *user* that wants to build everything from source is me... for
automated builds.  For our builds, and I had hoped for our releases
too, that use the automated system to produce builds, which are
always built from source (for our components) so that I can be 100%
assured that when I make a build that I know exactly what code (from
our components) was included.

The remote repo is still there for other users that don't need that
assurance or don't have time to go and build everything... but I do
want that... and I believe that it is in the best interest of the
community to get that too.

--jason