geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Who cares? [was: [DISCUSS] specs versioning]
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 04:32:55 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 8:23 PM, David Blevins wrote:
> Just to quietly raise my hand, we used to do option 2 on 1.0-M1
> through 1.0-M5 and I was release manager nearly all of those.  I
> advocated using one version for all specs.  I eventually grew to
> dislike that (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-
> dev&m=113857091823325&w=2).
>
> I understand institutional memory is short if people really want to
> do the one version thing again, that's cool.  I just want to go on
> record as saying I think the way we've attempted the one version
> for each approach also turned out to be flawed.  We should have
> marked all the dependencies of each spec with '<scope>provided'
> shutting off maven's transitivity which would fix every issue I'm
> aware of with managing relationships between specs.

Thought I think it is odd, to *move* code from a branch to a tag, and
then back to a branch, this might be a better solution for these
specs that will never change, or change like every 5 years er something.

Or maybe... the problem is really to tool we are using, or the way we
are using that tool.  Perhaps if mvn could handle building a release
of a set of modules in one step and each of theses modules had its
own trunk/tags/branches then none of this will matter?

--jason