geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: no more modules for specs...
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:50:49 GMT
On Dec 15, 2006, at 11:05 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I doubt it. When it came down to releases and updating artifacts
> and trying to tie everything all together. Lots of people might
> have problems but even now I bet there are people who could help
> with the build if necessary. If you did it in Ant you would be the
> only person who would know how it worked. You would get the nice
> Inner Platform Effect with a build your size:
>
> http://thedailywtf.com/forums/69415/ShowPost.aspx
>
> I'd bet my life you would have more overall problems using Ant.
> Just because you could get it to work doesn't mean it would scale
> or be something anyone else could comprehend. It's probably already
> hard enough with what you have.

Dang, I could not resist...

I think that the mvn build we have no is already fairly hard for
folks to comprehend and would probably fall apart unless someone like
me was here to answer everyones questions and monitor changes to keep
things in check.  I think that is no different than if we were using
Ant.

I actually think that Ant + a few tasks to manage limited remote dep
inclusion + groovy scripting would be a very powerful combination and
would be at least half as complicated as our Maven build.

But... I'd rather have Maven with a richer control over how deps get
pulled from remote repos, and more control over how local repos get
installed/pulled into the cache.

  * * *

Anyways, I just want to be able to build G projects/components from
source, pull in external binary deps and generate assemblies for
specific branches.  This was working fine before... and only the
recent change of the specs versioning has tossed me through a loop.
The solution is to make more project configurations to handle each
spec, but that is not scalable at all...

And... well, I think the only fault here really is that people look
at other mvn projects and just follow them... regardless if they make
sense for the problem at hand.

I still think remote repos suck... but, maybe you guys will
eventually find a better solution to that.

--jason