geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo 1.1.1 and Liferay 4, memory problems on startup and hot deployment
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:46:43 GMT
Kevan M,

Do you have any thoughts on the leaking classloaders?

I have run Liferay 4.1.2 and 4.2 on Geronimo 1.1.1 setting the -Xms1G
-Xmx1G and have never run into any memory problems what-so-ever, with
the memory used at about 110M after it's up and running.  I have run it
on the Mac.

Paul,

Have you tried upping the permgen memory parameter on boot?  Try adding
this to JAVA_OPTS:

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Jeff

Paul ANDERSON wrote:
> We have had trouble deploying Liferay 4.2.0 on Geronimo 1.1.1 out of the box with Liferay
distro where they are prepacked together. I tried the 4.1.2 pro WAR file too and had the same
memory problems.
> We immediately get PermGen memory use errors on Java 1.5.09 on RHEL 3, 4 and Windows
XP even with more than 1 gig allocated. Sometimes it happens on startup, otherwise on the
first hot deployment. Restarting after every deployment helps if the deployment didn't crash
the server. On Tomcat 5.5, LR runs fine with little memory.

> The July 2006 archives contain discussion about blocking 1.1.1 because of this problem
but it seems not to have happened.

> The user list contains a recent question, Liferay 4.2.0 and Geronimo 1.1.1 about the
same problem on startup.

> And on JIRA there is issue GERONIMO-2644 that may be related:-
> "Fix leaking ClassLoaders
> Created: 11/Dec/06 12:04 PM   Updated: 11/Dec/06 12:19 PM
> Component/s:
> kernel
> Affects Version/s:
> 1.2 , 2.0-M1
> Fix Version/s:
> 1.2 , 2.0-M1
> "Looks like we're leaking ClassLoaders. If you deploy/undeploy an app the ClassLoader(s)
created for the app are not being GC'ed. Eventually, you'll run out of PermGen space. I assume
that this is also causing the PermGen problems when running tests."