geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v1.2 documentation - Summary of changes
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:52:01 GMT
Hernan Cunico wrote:
> Hi All,
> For this release I would like to ask you guys to throw a line or two
> listing the areas your worked on that represent new or improved features.
> In the past I used to dig into the JIRAs but that took forever and
> always felt I was missing a lot. So, this time it would be great to
> hear it "directly from the horse's mouth". ;-)
>
> Let's try consolidate in this thread a list with all the new features,
> updates and improvements.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers!
> Hernan

This is a good idea.  The Apache HTTP Server maintains a file named
"CHANGES" in the top level of each server branch in SVN for this
purpose.  Check it out here:

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_2.2

When a developer commits an interesting change (from an Apache HTTPD
user's perspective), he will check in a quick description in CHANGES at
the same time.   Apache HTTPD users know to check out the CHANGES files
to get a quick rundown on a new release.  This is a practice worthy of
emulating, in my biased humble opinion :-)

Notes:
- CHANGES grows as a stack, with newer stuff at the beginning of the file
- Security fixes are prefixed with the word "SECURITY:"   Tracking
security fixes in the CHANGES file with this simple convention
eliminates an amazing number of user questions.

Bill