geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Split out transaction
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 02:39:29 GMT
I'm ok for splitting it out.  I'm not sure today is the best timing.
My experience is the simple things like this as your releasing
software is the thing that goes belly up and causes great pain.
We'll have to peel it out, test it, vote on it, etc.

I'd prefer to do this after we get 1.2-beta and 2.0-m1 out the door.

On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:14 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I monitor a bunch of lists and it looks like the Geronimo
> transaction library is getting pretty popular.  Looks like Ofbiz,
> ODE, and Tuscany are now using it.  That's in addition to
> ServiceMix, ActiveMQ, and of course OpenEJB.
>
> Interesting thing is that their all using it standalone via the
> Jencks.org stuff.
>
> What is stopping us from splitting this out?
>
> I say we just leave the gbeans where they are, rename the module to
> geronimo-transaction-gbeans, then move the rest of the code out,
> make a new pom and mark any deps still required with
> '<scope>provided'.

Are you proposing:

geronimo/server/[trunk | branches/1.2] /modules/geronimo-transaction-
gbeans for the server and branches and

geronimo/modules/geronimo-transaction/trunk/
                                      /tags/
                                      /branches/

for the externalized transaction and connector modules?

So for after 2.0-m1 and 1.2-beta1 we would move it out and version it
as 2.0-SNAPSHOT and release as -2.0.

This kind of implies that the other modules like tomcat, jetty,
activemq, etc should be renamed with -gbean suffixes to be consistent.

> Then we cut a release of it that both 1.2beta and 2.0m1 can use
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -David

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org