geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject [discuss] sun xsd's and dtd's in specs source tree
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 22:57:51 GMT
As noted in GERONIMO-2630, our servlet and jsp specs include xsd's
and dtd's which are copyrighted by Sun and contain the following
restrictions:

       This document and the technology which it describes are
       distributed under licenses restricting their use, copying,
       distribution, and decompilation. No part of this document
       may be reproduced in any form by any means without prior
       written authorization of Sun and its licensors, if any.

We've been through this issue before with j2ee-schemas. We were able
to resolve that issue by removing the xsd's from our source tree.
Unfortunately, we don't have that option for specs. The spec jars
must contain these xsd's and dtd's.

IMO, we cannot keep these files in our source tree, nor distribute
them in any binary releases.

Tomcat has their own copy of these files in their source tree (it
looks like we've copied a few of these files into our source tree, I
think we got the others directly from sun). At least some of the
Tomcat files have had an ASL license header added to them. I've asked
dev@tomcat about the status of these files. I have not received any
answer which gives me any confidence that we should be using their
files, either.

It seems that our only way to resolve this issue in a timely manner
is to create our own version of these files. I think this is a royal
PITA, but don't see any other solution.

Thoughts, please...

FYI the files are listed below:

geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jsp_2.0_spec/src/main/schema/jsp_2_0.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jsp_2.0_spec/src/main/schema/web-
jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jsp_2.1_spec/src/main/schema/jsp_2_0.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jsp_2.1_spec/src/main/schema/jsp_2_1.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jsp_2.1_spec/src/main/schema/web-
jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jsp_2.1_spec/src/main/schema/web-
jsptaglibrary_2_1.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec/src/main/schema/
j2ee_1_4.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec/src/main/schema/
j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec/src/main/schema/
j2ee_web_services_client_1_1.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec/src/main/schema/web-
app_2_3.dtd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec/src/main/schema/web-
app_2_4.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/java/javax/
servlet/http/package.html
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/java/javax/
servlet/package.html
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/schema/
j2ee_1_4.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/schema/
j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/schema/
j2ee_web_services_client_1_1.xsd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/schema/web-
app_2_3.dtd
geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec/src/main/schema/web-
app_2_4.xsd

--kevan