geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Release geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.0
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:10:46 GMT

On Dec 21, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I think voting on svn source for small projects / jars is good,
> because people can build them locally, check that everything
> is ok (for legal reasons), and vote.  This is much more difficult
> for Geronimo server, of course, and may not be applied.
>
> This works well, I think, if the release process is just
>   mvn release:prepare release:perform
> which should be the case for all projects ideally.
> The benefit is that the jars will be deployed to their final
> destination
> as part of the relase, without having to tweak / corrupting maven
> repository metadata by copying from a staging repo.

For my part, I'd prefer to follow this approach going forward.  I
agree with Guillaume that it may not totally work for Geronimo unless
we choose an SVN number as the release point so people can track
changes to a branch.

Having been through the release process a few times I think that
using Maven to generate the artifacts is so much simpler and
automagically updating the repo is far easier as well.

I'd like to propose (in a separate thread) that we adopt this process
going forward for specs.  If the vote succeeds then I think David
could follow it for these specs as a test case.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org