geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:39:05 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

>>> Sure it does Dain, running one set of `mvn release:prepare && mvn
>>> release:perform` vs, running one per spec module.  That is
>>> significantly more work for the latter.
>>
>> You are implying that we tend to release gobs of specs at one.
>> The reality is specs rarely change and when we do find a problem
>> it is with one module not everything.
>
> In several cases, you must release more than one spec at a time.
> But my point was more general... as in general its easier to manage
> releases for a set of modules together instead of one by one.

You are assuming that is makes since to release a set of specs at
once.  Normally only one spec changes at a time (due to a bug), then
there is no reason to create a big set of every single spec jar we
have ever created just to release a single jar.

>>> Also, if you consider hooking up this process to a build
>>> automation tool, so that each build gets released by that tool,
>>> then the specs project effectively needs to get split up into a
>>> project per-module, which is a bunch of unneeded overhead.
>>
>> Only the specs being worked on would need build automation, and
>> event then I would suggest G never uses SNAPSHOT specs.  Instead
>> when the specs are mostly complete we release a M1 and when they
>> are finished we release 1.0.  In that case no automation is
>> necessary.
>
> It is still much easier to just setup one project for all of the
> specs rather than add/remove projects as needed.
>
>  * * *
>
> If you folks really want to version spec modules independently,
> then I suggest you also consider versioning server modules
> independently.
>
> I certainly don't recommend doing either, but IMO they are both the
> same problem from a build perspective, just with slightly different
> context.

I think you are using a lame rhetoric technique to make your point.
You are saying if you want to do X, then you should certainly do Y,
and since no one would ever want to do Y, then we should never do X.

Things that are independently useable and move independently should
be versioned independently.  The specs are both in this case.

-dain