geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Dallas JUG
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:55:11 GMT
Hey folks, here's a recap of the Dallas JUG I presented at on 12/13.
The meeting was hosted at Sun's offices in Dallas, TX.  IBM hooked us
up with pizza, t-shirts and a copy of Jeff and Bruce's excellent
Geronimo book.  The presentation focused on an overview and history of
Geronimo as an ASF project, gbeans, plugins, how to download/install
geronimo, how to build it using maven, using the admin console, and
the eclipse tooling.  They told me that Jeremy Boynes had presented to
them last year so I had a tough act to follow :-)

There were about 40 people in attendance and this was a very smart
crowd.  They already understood J2EE, open source, eclipse, tomcat,
etc. very well and easily soaked in all I had to say.  Several had
already used Geronimo and had good things to say about it, like "I
downloaded geronimo, deployed my app, and was up and running in
minutes. I plan to stick with it!".  There was also a good amount of
expertise with Spring and they were very interested in finding out
more about XBean.

There were several questions about how open source is done at Apache
and how it is supported by the industry.  One question I couldn't
answer is why doesn't WAS CE support 64-bit arch (?). They also asked
about Geronimo supporting OSGI and I said that's on the bubble for
2.0.  After the meeting I met several people who had used Geronimo,
were pleased with it, and wanted to find out more.

I owe one person from the JUG some follow-up info and I'm hoping
someone can help me out.  Does Geronimo have any performance data
that's available to the public?

Best wishes,
Paul