geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:40:33 GMT
> On Dec 11, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
>
> > I'm in favor of a single version for all specs.  Versioning the specs
> > individually has some advantages but makes the release manager's job
> > more difficult since the tooling doesn't readily support that
> > approach.
>
> Um.. that's not true.  Maven has full support for this.  Also it
> doesn't make the release manager's job harder.

Maybe I read too much into the wiki page that Kevan referenced, which
lists the following advantage for using a single version for specs:
-  Release process is simple and can be fully automated with the release plugin

And the following listed as a disadvantage of versioning the specs individually:
-  Releases are more difficult because the person performing the
release must be aware of any dependencies and must also rerelease
those jars. (eliminated with working version-ranges)

and lists as a supporting fact:
-  Version ranges don't work several (most?) important maven plugins

Is the wiki page outdated or am I missing the point?

> > And as a developer (at least for me) a single version is
> > more intuitive, evidenced by my recent snafu where I created the
> > initial version of jsp 2.1 spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  Thankfully Jason
> > keeps a very close eye on things and suggested using 1.0-SNAPSHOT
> > instead.
>
> Um I think that goes both ways.  Because all specs are currently at
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT, you mistakenly created a new spec at 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  As
> specs become more independent, I would expect you would naturally
> choose 1.0-SNAPSHOT for a new spec.  In addition, new specs do not
> come along that often so making a mistake once a year is not a big deal.

I agree that could go either way.  Besides, what seems intuitive for
me usually ends up getting me into trouble so I shouldn't have even
brought it up.  :-)

> > I also believe having the specs all at a single release is consistent
> > with the approach we use in server/trunk, where the artifacts share
> > the same geronimo version and when necessary a version number can be
> > included in the artifactId.   Consistency has its benefits.
>
> In that case, why not move specs into the server tree?

So a single version of specs can support more than one version of the
server.  Would that not be the case with the 1.2 and 2.0-M1 versions
of the server?