geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.0 Milestone's and how were doing
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:05:15 GMT
> On 12/5/06, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Paul, Tomcat integration might have the most work to do for M1. How
> > is that looking?
>
> I have the JSP 2.1 and EL 1.0 specs checked in and published to the
> snapshot repo, reversioned to 1.0-SNAPSHOT this morning per Jason's
> advice.  The annotation 1.0 and servlet 2.5 specs were already
> available thanks to Joe and Greg.  In my local build I have tc6
> running the web console OK in a new tomcat-jee5 assembly and the
> default app in the tomcat-minimal assembly.  Deploying a simple 2.4
> WAR from the CLI works.  I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to
> commit this first stage of tomcat integration this week.

I just committed stage 2 of the tc6 update.  As a reminder here's the
wiki page for the overall game plan with progress indicated:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/tomcat-v6-game-plan.html

If anyone sees problems then please let me know.

> Current issues:
>
> Deploying 2.5 servlets
> While tc6 deploys and runs 2.4 WARs ok I haven't tried deploying a 2.5
> WAR yet.  All the webapps  in the tc6 dist use 2.4 so I really hope
> I'm not the first one trying this :-S  I googled up some JEE5 servlet
> samples but they are tightly coupled with other new JEE5 stuff like
> JPA, EJB 3.0, etc, so I need something simpler.  I'll probably end up
> adding some 2.5 content to our unit test cases and cross my fingers.
> Worst case scenario is that for M1 we'll have a 2.5 servlet engine
> that you can only deploy <=2.4. servlets to.

Turns out this works OK.  I added a testcase to geronimo-tomcat that
uses a 2.5 web.xml.

> Failing unit test-
> A unit tests in geronimo-tomcat fails intermittently apparently due to
> a change in how tc6 handles connections.  Still investigating if its a
> bug in geronimo, tomcat or the unit test.  For the initial checkin I
> may need to disable the unit test.

I disabled the unit test and am investigating whether the problem is
in geronimo, the test case, or in tomcat.

> Noise factor-
> Shutdown of the JEE5 assemblies generates a huge stack trace.  Looks
> like tranql/derby is the culpirt and not tomcat but I'm not 100% sure.
>  I'll probably have to commit while the stack trace still appears so
> others can have a look.

Others were seeing this stack trace before I committed and it's in the
jetty assembly as well so apparently not due to tc6.

> Also I need to figure out how to avoid
> logging tomcat's INFO messages to the command window.  Its really
> noisy right now.

Tomcat is still logging INFO messages in the command window and I will
fix that asap.  I needed to go ahead and check in as-is so others with
prereqs on tc6 can proceed with their work (plus I was going nuts
keeping up with in trunk :-)

Best wishes,
Paul