geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <>
Subject Re: Exception Handling in Console
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:31:22 GMT
I agree that exception handling is currently not one of the console's
strong suits.  I have been thinking about introducing a new dojo
widget for displaying messages in the console.   It would be based on
the dialog widget which you can see by clicking the "show dialog"
anchor in this page:

The design that you proposed sounds reasonable and would also provide
a first step for introducing the message widget described above by
wrapping the exceptions and providing a place to display them.  I'm in
favor of creating a JIRA for this.

One question I have is what do you consider life span for an error
message?  If it only has the duration of a single request/response
then it would be lost by the user refreshing the page, clicking the
'help' link,  or using the minimize/maximize controls your
GERONIMO-795 patch would introduce.  Seems like error messages need to
be explicitly dismissed by the user.  Also, would your approach
continue to log the message in the server log or just display it to
the user?

Best wishes,

On 12/1/06, Rakesh Midha <> wrote:
> Hello
> In case I get any exception or error condition in Console, the nothing is
> printed on web console and huge stack trace is printed on server console.
> Only thing done in the name of Exception handling in all the portlets is
> "throw PortletException"
> I somehow don't like this behavior of console. As a console user I don't
> want to go and see server stacktrace, if there is some error I should
> atleast be informed in console. I think everytime there is a error or
> exception in console, it should be printed in either exception page in
> webconsole, or in header of portlet view page. This is done to some extent
> in configManager and CA part of console. But not in uniform way.
> This is what I am proposing for Exception handling in console :
> 1. Create a which extends PortletException, this class
> will have overridden printStackTrace(PrintWriter), which will set attribute
> required in _ConsoleException.jsp apart from printing the stack on
> PrintWriter.
> 2. Create _ConsoleException.jsp which should be included in all portlet,
> this jsp will be responsible to print a short message and long stack trace.
> (with a toggle button to view and hide long stack trace)
> 3. All Portlet classes should throw ConsoleException instead of
> PortletException
> I think this will be nice and cleaner way to handle the console problems.
> I am working on
> solve the same problem in deploy new app portlet. Once don't I will supply
> the patch and open another JIRA to do this activity for all the portlets.
> Please let me know if I am thinking right or missing something. Your views
> and comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Rakesh

View raw message