geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas Gallardo <nickgalla...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Annotation processing
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 03:53:59 GMT
David,

Speaking from ignorance, is the intent to have all resources injected from JNDI, or is JAX-WS
the only offender that has invocation specific resources that need to be individually injected?

Regards,

-Nick

----- Original Message ----
From: David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com>
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Cc: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:43:56 PM
Subject: Re: Annotation processing

On Dec 12, 2006, at 4:20 PM, David Blevins wrote:

>>> Here's where I get confused.  Add objects to inject resources
>>> into what?  The confusing part is that injection is done on
>>> instances of components (servlets, ejbs).  Maybe the Tomcat/Jetty
>>> integrations are a lot tighter than I thought they were.  Are we
>>> actually creating servlet and filter instances themselves?
>>
>> Definitely not for tomcat.  For jetty these are created by a
>> ServletHolder, which is wrapped into a gbean, so we could modify
>> the object creation code.  I imagine there's some similar way to
>> customize tomcat, but I have no idea what it might be.
>>
>> In any case, my goal of using verbiage sufficiently general to be
>> difficult to argue with failed :-).   I have no idea what is
>> needed nor how to do this.  Do you have any advice?
>
> :)
>
> I have to imagine that both Jetty and Tomcat already have their own
> code for injecting the items from JNDI using the standard names
> [1], so if simply had some way to tell either of them which jndi
> names go with which fields we'd be good to go.
>
> [1]  Granted the spec doesn't require you to inject straight from
> JNDI, but injection was intended to be done this way when the specs
> were written (even SessionContext is now in JNDI) and I'd be really
> surprised if there was anyone out there doing it differently.
>
> I'd be interested in what Jetty and Tomcat have in this regard.

I took a quick look at Jetty and Tomcat source.  Tomcat has some
complete looking code for injection via JNDI, except it seems it only
supports using annotations as the source of injection data, nothing
for xml as the source.
   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/
catalina/util/DefaultAnnotationProcessor.java?view=markup

Jetty doesn't seem to have anything in this area.  I looked for any
references to javax.annotation and didn't find any.  Greg, any
thoughts on what your plans are in this area?

-David

Have a burning question?