geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Rakesh Midha" <midha.rak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exception Handling in Console
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:47:03 GMT
I created a JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2621 to
handle this improvement.

Paul, I am not sure till what level are you proposing to use dojo widgets. I
made a changes required for this problem for web console deploy portlet.
Following your hint about using dojo widget I used dojo dialog box to show
detailed exception trace.

Have a look at changes provided in Patch
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12346339/deployExp.patch in

This patch provides a protocol proposed for exception handling in console.
Apart from exception handling methods are provided to printInfo,
printWarning, printErrors and printFullError.

For now only web console part is taken care of, if we want to support
logging using same setup this can be easily added.

Paul, about your question about life span, I am in favour of giving a
error/info message for life span of single request. I feel providing a
"explicitly dismissed by the user" is an additional hassle going against the
motive of "ease of use". Anyways apart from being printed on web console,
messages will continue to go to server log and further down the timeline if
user wants details he can also look at logs.

What do you say? Please have a look at patch and decide the path we are
taking so that I can make changes in all other portlets.

Thanks
Rakesh