geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:56:17 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:13 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> IMHO I like option 3 which is both option 1 and 2.  First, I think
> all SPECs should be versioned independently as not everyone is
> interested in all the specs.  If, for instance, the Tomcat dudes
> decide to pick up anything we have they would only be interested in
> a subset and shouldn't be forced to consume the whole Java EE banana.
>
> So, in that light I think they should all be versioned separately.
> We should probably have a separate uber spec project that pulls in
> a set of versioned specs and releases them as a set so that people
> that want the whole enchilada can get them.  The uber approach
> would only be compiling a set of released specs (which were
> released separately.
>
> For this proposal...I'd say release them individually and make the
> uber spec as the next step.  IMHO small largely immutable specs
> make sense to me.

Uber specs are another anti-pattern, and I do not recommend that we
bring them back.  If you are using a specific spec in your app, then
you really should not need to (or want to) pull in every other spec
that is part of that release... doing so is very sloppy IMO.

I don't recommend we create or use anything like an uber-spec anywhere.

--jason