geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] specs versioning
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:22:04 GMT
On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:13 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> IMHO I like option 3 which is both option 1 and 2.  First, I think
> all SPECs should be versioned independently as not everyone is
> interested in all the specs.  If, for instance, the Tomcat dudes
> decide to pick up anything we have they would only be interested in
> a subset and shouldn't be forced to consume the whole Java EE banana.
>
> So, in that light I think they should all be versioned separately.
> We should probably have a separate uber spec project that pulls in
> a set of versioned specs and releases them as a set so that people
> that want the whole enchilada can get them.  The uber approach
> would only be compiling a set of released specs (which were
> released separately.

That sounds interesting, but I think we should wait until someone
asks for that feature.  I personally have found that in most cases
you end up using only a couple of specs at a time.  If someone has a
good use case for an uber bundle, then we pull it together uber jar
(or uber pom for maven users).

-dain