geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:04:43 GMT
I like the idea of branching out 1.2 and making trunk 2.0. It will
bring isolated java EE5 code out of the different people's sandbox. We
can get a headstart on integrating them all together and also getting
our builds and tests to work on jdk 1.5.

(IMO, a sparse tree for Java EE5 won't generate that not that much
interest either, esp. when we ask folks to go and builds two trees.)

However, we should also make a serious effort to roll up the bug fixes
from the 1.2 branch to the Java EE5 branch (or trunk or whatever you
want to call it). Just recently we had to tag a trunk as dead and
re-do a lot of work. Let history not repeat in this case.

Top 3 reasons to have a Java EE5 branch:
1. The race is on.
2. demand from the industry/users
3. interest in the development community to work on it.

These reasons are strong enough to outweigh the cons (all and any) in
not doing so.

+1

Cheers
Prasad