geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:53:56 GMT

On Nov 8, 2006, at 9:04 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Nov 7, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>>> On 11/7/06, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@golux.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Whow! Very well written! I like it. It should be part of our
>>> documentation somewhere. I was leaning towards Dain's and Dave's
>>> and thought to withdraw my +1, but now it won't happen at all.
>>> Thanks
>>> Ken!
>> My objection to putting the jee5 work into a branch is that it's
>> not  a branch!
>
> I think that we would need to make the Java EE 5 work a true branch
> rather than a sparse tree.

It would need to end up being a branch IMHO.  It will be
significantly different enough that trying to make 1.4 and 5.0
assemblies will most likely be hard and most probably a continuing
source of pain.  I prefer to sunset 1.4 (no one really cares about it
anymore) and focus solely on 5.0.  If our project is going to be
relevant in the field we need something for Java EE 5.0 next year.
Two years late makes us last to the game and playing catchup.

I was all for 1.2 two months ago when we were on a release early and
release often drum beat (which is the right one).  We are now in mid-
November, and I don't see 1.2 getting out of trunk anytime soon.  If
we wait till December January to start 5.0 then we're going to miss
our opportunity to be out there for Java One.

My personal prefrence if 1.2 isn't ready to branch by the end of next
week is to retask 1.2 as 2.0...plan on a beta with JPA in December
and put all our effort into focusing on Java EE 5.0 and leave J2EE
1.4 in the branches.  If someone wants to enhance 1.4 then they are
free to focus their effort there.

I get the sense that Dain is pushing 1.2 but the overall community is
not as interested in a 1.2 release, otherwise there would be a lot
more activity on it.  (No reflection on Dain as he's been turning out
weekly builds as well as pulling TCK along with some help from others).

I'll be helping with 1.2 this week and next.  However, if we're not
near a release next Friday I am planning on branching trunk into
branches/javaee5 and focusing on that.  If that effort dies then so
be it.  If it moves forward then great.  The community will decide.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org