geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Java EE 5.0
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:09:30 GMT
There has been some discussion about Java EE 5.0 on the list in terms
of starting to layer in some of the functionality of Java EE 5.0
(every time I type that I'm reminded of Jeff Magnusson Jr. :)

I've perused the e-mail lists and was trying to put together our
current roadmap of what we're working on and some idea of when things
might be available.  Here is what I've gleaned and I'm hoping that
people can help correct where I'm wrong and pull together an accurate
picture of the community's endeavors.

Geronimo 1.2
Location: server/trunk
Release Manager: Dain and Alan
   It will include:
- Yoko ORB support to allow Geronimo to be independent of the
underlying JVM
- Updated OpenEJB 2.2 which allows for Open JPA to be added as a
persistence provider
- Global JNDI per user's requests and in support of OpenJPA
- Some miscellaneous enhancements around EJB and persistence to
improve our ability to run CMPs under load

finish activities

Outstanding issues: Legal clearance on OpenEJB as it has moved to
Incubator
JIRAs currently assigned to this release: 218

Geronimo 1.1.2
Location: server/branches/1.1
Release MAnager: None
There has been some discussion about this release but no one has
volunteered to be release manager and there is no active work on this
branch.
JIRAs currently assigned to this release: 38

Geronimo 2.0
Location: miscellaneous
Release Manager: Matt (volunteered)
Destined to be the Java Enterprise Edition 5.0 stream.
people's local systems, sandbox, etc.  There is no one area
representing this build.

If I missed anything above please let me know.

As far as 2.0 goes it sounds like there is work in progress here and
it seems to make sense to define a home for this work.  I expect that
server/trunk would be destabilizing to the release Dain and Alan are
working on as it involves Java 1.5 and newer spec levels.  Sandbox
has worked so far but I think it would help people understand the
process of we had a place to start incorporating Java EE 5.0 and they
could grab it and build it.  I think a location in server/branches/
javaee5 makes sense as a rallying point.

What do other people think about bringing this the Java EE 5.0 story
together in that location?  We could follow David's existing
methodology in sandbox where we build trunk and have an incremental
build on top of that in branches/javaee5 and it would be visibile to
others that wanted to start getting involved.  Thoughts?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org